Google

Monday, December 8, 2008

Art: Because We Can

I have not posted for a while, and I apologize for the delay.

Last weekend I went to an art opening. There were actually three that same night, but one was plenty. There is something about going to an opening that excites the mind more than just stopping in to view an exhibit. Obviously, the extra glow comes from the many people engaged in conversation about the paintings and sculptures as well as the food and wine!

Going to exhibits usually inspires me to get back into painting and creating...Typically, this does not actually happen because I typically do not have much space for it. In order to cultivate joy, I think we must cultivate our senses and our ability to express. We can do this by creating art and by actively viewing it. I am fine going to a showing on my own, but I prefer to have people I can chat with about what I see, feel, hear, and sometimes smell at an art show.

I was tipped off by the opening by a flier at my hair salon. My favorite part about going to the salon is flipping through the pages of the art magazines they have laying around. The best is Hi Fructose.

This cutting edge, counter-culture art magazine has a fabulous collection of images, articles, and videos. The descriptions of the work and artist insight makes this a must-see sight for people like me who find refuse in the arts.

Here is one sample:


Chair Arch: A film by The Glue Society for 42Below Vodka. from Glue Society on Vimeo.

No comments: